Learning to Love Your Pregnant Body
As you go through the changes of pregnancy, it’s not unusual to have mixed feelings about your changing body.
Here are a few tips for dealing with the ups and downs of your changing body:
- Keep your eye on the prize. Remind yourself that all of these changes are happening because you are actually growing a new life inside of you! That’s pretty amazing when you think about it.
- Maintain a healthy diet. It’s true that when you eat healthy you feel better about yourself. And by eating fresh fruits and vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains, you can be sure you’re providing your body with the nutrients it needs to support your growing baby.
- Stay active. Regular exercise can not only help to maintain your level of fitness, it also helps boost your mood to combat negative body image. Just be sure to speak to your doctor about the level of exercise that’s appropriate for you.
- Get positive reinforcement. Enlist the support of friends and family who will provide positive support.
- Indulge yourself a bit. A massage, a facial or a new outfit can do wonders for your outlook.
- Speak up. Talk to you healthcare provider about your concerns. Some women with concerns about body image may need more support. Don’t be shy about discussing it with your doctor. The most important thing is getting the support you need to raise a healthy baby.