10 tips for eating more fruits and vegetables
It's not just milk that does a body good.
We all know fruits and veggies are good for us - no just when you're pregnant or breastfeeding! Here are 10 ways to eat more fruits and veggies.
- Blend it: Smoothies are a great snack or breakfast option to throw in fruit, veggies or both! The sweetness of the fruit can mask of balance (depending on your preference) greens like spinach and kale which are great add-ins that pack a lot of nutrients.
- Win at breakfast: Start the day off right. Step 1 - eat breakfast if you aren't currently. Step 2 - incorporate fruits and veggies! Making scrambled eggs? Add in some veggies like tomatoes, squash or mushrooms. Having oatmeal? Toss some berries on top. A fan of yogurt? Skip the fruit flavored options and go for a plain and fresh fruit on the top!
- Swap your dessert: End your meal with a fruit salad or a bowl of fresh strawberries to satisfy your sweet tooth.
- Start with salad: Get your veggies in before as opposed to later when you may be too full after eating your entree.
- Add in extras: Making a great pasta dish? Toss in some veggies and make your own primavera.
- Know your substitutes:
- Meatless Monday: Go vegetarian for one day a week. You'll be surprised at how many tasty recipes are out there that don't involve tofu.
- Branch out: Give yourself a challenge of trying one new fruit or vegetable every week!
- Snack smart: Instead of reach for a something packaged out of a bag, grab a apples, bananas, and oranges make great portable options. If you have more time, pack some carrots for a crunchy option if you're a chip person.
- Roast it: Roasted veggies are so easy and yummy. Chop up whatever you're in the mood for (beets, brocoli, sweet potato, carrots....) and toss in a roasting pan with olive oil and salt. Cook at 375 for 30 mins or more depending on the thickness of your veggies.