Introducing baby to your first child
And baby makes 2. Before you juggle a toddler and a newborn at the same time, help prepare your eldest child for the new arrival.
If you and your partner are mentally preparing for baby, don't forget your toddler. courtesy of KellyMom.
- Newborn 101: Talk about what a newborn is like and their behavior: appearance, nursing, sleep, needing to be held...cover all the bases
- Remember when: Talk to your child about how they used to be a newborn
- Mommy and me: Explain how your toddler can help with baby
- Newborn straight ahead: Have friends or family with a baby? Introduce your child to them early on so they can see one in the wild :)
- Breastfeeding: Explain how you make milk just for baby and that's his/her favorite food to grow big and strong
While baby is nursing, here's how to keep your toddler occupied.
- Books with a side of snuggle: Talk with your child while you’re nursing baby. Ask your child to turn the book pages if you need an extra hand.
- Play games: Think of games like “I Spy” and “Simon Says”
- Play with your food: Try counting (and eating) cheerios or raisins with your toddler.
- Pretend nurse: Your child may try to imitate you by nursing a stuffed animal or other toy.
UP NEXT: Tips for bringing baby home